Thursday, March 11, 2010

Starting to Breathe


A month has passed since we moved to Lawrence and I'm just starting to realize where I am. It's odd how humans need a sense of routine to grow comfortable with our surroundings. I felt the same way when I moved to Bangladesh in 2003...I woke up every morning feeling bewildered until my activities, perceptions, and mini-universe fell into a regular schedule. I'm happy that this happened here and relatively quickly at that.

The move itself was fraught with logistics and constant things to do. Renting a PODS container turned out to be a mistake. Since we didn't know if we were renting or buying, and didn't know if we required short-term storage, it seemed like a wise choice at the time....but having a full-service move by one company would have been a LOT less stressful. I guess the one good thing that came out of the PODS move was a smaller environmental impact....i.e. PODS containers are loaded with other containers and shipped out in "car pool" style, so it's less gas guzzling in total.

That's it for now. I'll be sure to write more about my first observations in Lawrence and hopefully switch into the present tense soon. The present always sounds better in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment